Apricot Chili Marinated Lamb Tacos w/ Mango Jicama Slaw
In a large bowl, whisk together the preserves, canola oil, vinegar, garlic, and Fresno chili. Add the lamb, turning to coat. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, 3 hours. Heat grill to medium high heat.
- 5 ounces apricot preserves
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) canola oil
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) balsamic vinegar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced Fresno chili
- 1 1/4 lbs American lamb, top round
Mango Jicama Slaw
- 1 large fresh mango, peeled, seeded and diced*
- 1 (10 ounces) small jicama , peeled and shredded
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 whole wheat flour tortillas, 6 inch
- 1 plum tomato, finely diced
YIELD: 10 tacos (2 per serving)
To make Marinated Lamb:
In a large bowl, whisk together the preserves, canola oil, vinegar, garlic, and Fresno chili. Add the lamb, turning to coat. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, 3 hours. Heat grill to medium high heat. Remove lamb from marinade and grill to desired doneness (125-130 degrees F for medium rare). Remove from heat and let rest. Before service, thinly slice.
To make Mango Jicama Slaw:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and gently mix. Cover and refrigerate until service.
Warm two tortillas. Place about 1 ½ ounces thinly sliced cooked lamb in each tortilla. Top with a generous 1/3 cup Mango Jicama Slaw. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon diced tomato.
*A typical 9 count mango weighs about 18 ounces and yields approximately 11 ounces useable fruit. One cup 3/8-inch diced mango weighs 6.35 ounces.